Monday, June 30, 2008

This is me

I know it's been a while since I've last written and things have been pretty crazy here. The summer always seems impossible to me with all of its unstructuredness. Some days it's almost too much for me. I hardly ever see my type-A personality coming out, but when I don't have a routine, it comes screaming at everyone around.

But today I got an e-mail from the MOPS international and it really hit home. This is something we're going through and I feel a bit buried most days. It's good to read how someone else is handling it. Ours is not because of Darrell's job, but just life in general. I hope if any of you are going through the same thing, this can bring you some peace.
Embracing Simplicity
Jolita Peterson, Council Coordinator
For the past year, our family has been experiencing very lean finances due to difficult and unexpected circumstances with my husband’s career. Financial troubles can be emotionally overwhelming, at times pulling an entire family down into a quagmire of hopelessness and helplessness. For a while I fumed and fussed, resisted everything about our situation and watched my attitude descend into despair, along with our checking account balance. Gradually though, as reality set in, I began to look for small blessings alongside the daily struggles of spending cutbacks. At Christmas, I rejoiced that I didn’t have to join the masses heading to the mall. I’m spending less time running errands since I’m buying less (and saving on gas at the same time!). I’ve been amazed at what we can do without.Our family has grown stronger during this past year, no question. I’ve discovered the joy of making pizza with my kids instead of ordering take-out. Rather than renting or going to the movies, we’ve been reading together more often as a family. My husband offered to highlight my hair for me since a salon visit was out of the question – and we created another unforgettable bonding moment in our marriage (and he did a great job!). We’ve also been blessed by countless friends and family members – hand-me down clothing, shoes, prayers and support, and – during some very lean months – food, gas cards and homemade meals. When I’m tempted to whine about our circumstances, I can always find something to be thankful for – health, friends, family, a roof over our head and food on our table. Do I get tired of telling my kids “no” when they ask for things? Of course. Am I looking forward to more financially stable days ahead? Absolutely. But here and now, in our present circumstances, I’m choosing daily to embrace simplicity and find joy in small ways.
Prayer From a Mother's Heart
Dear God, teach my children to be thankful in all circumstances. (1 Thessalonians 5:18)

3 comments:

Em said...

Thanks for sharing, Aubrey. It sounds just like a book I recently finished reading entitled 'Attitudes of Gratitutde'...it talked about being able to find something to be thankful for, no matter what our situations are.

Elenbga said...

Thanks, Aubrey, for putting that out here. And to think...I'd been feeling sorry for myself when I know I have more than plenty to appreciate.

...Glad to see you back out here!

Kate said...

This is such a great reminder Aubrey, thank you for sharing!